THE GOAT CONNECTION
Vol. 6 - #12 Monthly newsletter of the GOLDEN GATE GOATS
DECEMBER - 2001
Member Organization GTO ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 8
DOUBLE TREE HOTEL
2050 GATEWAY PLACE, SAN JOSE
OMIGODITSGOOD! Recipe CornerNEW MEMBERS
It amazes me that the Thanksgiving Holiday is already here. Hope that you all enjoyed it. Here comes Santa Claus !!!!!!! Our last event and meeting was a great time. Weather was absolutely perfect. Niles Canyon train ride is always fun and we had a great meeting at Bosco's. I would like to thank all of you that were able to join us.
Our next event is coming up on Saturday Dec. 8th, our Second Annual Toys for Tots Drive. Full details in this newsletter and it looks like a lot of fun. As a club we voted to have a fund raising challenge for you. GGG will match all cash contributions to Toys for Tots up to $500. Come on out and join in the spirit of the holiday season and help us plan for a GR888 2002.
Our last meeting resulted in many possible events being mentioned for next yearís event calendar. Please see the list in this newsletter and consider what YOU would like us to be doing. We vote at our meeting on Dec. 8th. Lots of interesting choices here.
Will Valle and myself thank you for your votes of confidence in re-electing us for another term. Please note that we will now be including minutes from meetings in the newsletter. This will give everyone the chance to know exactly what was covered. Your board urges as many of you as possible to attend our Dec. 8th event and meeting. Thank you.
Other club business. Jim Lent has a suggestion to support members that take on hosting BBQs, etc. at their homes. In order to help with the costs of doing these events, Jim has suggested that everyone that attends donate $5 each as a ďGuest Token OfferingĒ or G.T.O.! We simply make a collection, put it in an envelope and present it to our hosts as our way of saying THANKS !!! We will vote to ratify Jim's idea at our next meeting. Great idea Jim.
GGG has been an affiliated chapter of the GTOAA since we started our club back in 1996. I used their member listing as a contact list to get our club off the ground. Other than that, we have never really had any involvement at all with them. Those of you that are GTOAA members, please read " Chapter Requirement Changes " in the Nov. Legend. For 2002, they are mandating a 25% membership rule. This means that every affiliated chapter must have 25% of their members belong to GTOAA in order to continue being affiliated with GTOAA. They expect each club to provide documentation on this. Jim Lent suggested that we gather this information as part of our dues renewal process. Will Valle will track this for us. We will be asking all of you for your GTOAA membership # so please be prepared to provide that for us.
More details to come. GTOAA is emphasizing the fact that they fully expect their affiliated chapters to support their national organization. Those chapters that do not meet this requirement will be dropped by GTOAA. Let us address this by getting a handle on what % of us belong to GTOAA. Once we have that information, we can decide what we want to do. I will dig into this a little deeper at our Dec. 8th meeting. Have had some e mail correspondence with Tom Szymczyk, GTOAA VP on this subject that should be shared with you. Bottom line is that they are reaching out for our support. More later.
In closing, I would just like to ask all of you to take a few moments and look back at what we have done this year so far. Another fantastic year for your club. I would personally like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you that participated. Your efforts are what has made GGG the great organization that it is. From the bottom of my heart, I am proud to be your President.
Hope to see many of you on Dec. 8th!!!!
GGGoats Car of the Month Article AssignmentsDECEMBER - Steve Beckett, Alan & Julie Blake, Paulette Hendrickson & GTO Joe Sims.
Article text can be emailed to Jim Lent @ firstname.lastname@example.org or send, with at least three photos, to:
118 Iris Court
GOLDEN GATE GOATS EMAIL LIST
The GGGOATS frequently uses an email list to get out information about events that may not have been available when the newsletter went to press.
This has proved very useful and, if you have an email account, you might want to join the list. Sometimes people change their email accounts and forget to let us know. If you would like to join or rejoin the list then please send me an email with your correct email address.
Please send additions or corrections to: email@example.com
CHANGES, MISSPELLINGS, ETC.
IF WE HAVEN'T GOT YOUR INFORMATION MIXED UP YET, JUST GIVE US TIME. WE ARE WORKING AS FAST AS WE CAN.
Please contact Jim Lent with any name, address, phone number or vehicle corrections or changes. (510) 799-6096.
SNAIL MAIL: Jim Lent
118 Iris Court
Hercules, CA 94547
NOVEMBER 4, 2001
Meeting held at Boscoeís Bones & Brew after the Niles Canyon Railway Trip.
1. Short discussion on the club birthday party. Most agreed that member paid food & entertainment for this once a year event seemed to work well.
2. Elections. John Mekisich and Will Valle were re-elected to office by voice vote when no one else was nominated.
3. Meeting time of 7:00 AM was agreed to for the Nov. 10th Goodguys.
4. TOYS 4 TOTS , Sat. Dec. 8, we will meet at the Double Tree Hotel (formerly Red Lion). Schedule to be set up to try to get news coverage. Russ Louthian will develop flyer for newsletter. Motion made and passed to have a Club Challenge for this event. Club will match up to $500.00 of members donations to Toys 4 Tots.
5. Discussed correspondence from GTOAA that would require the club to have 25% of club members to belong to the GTOAA. Club members were neutral to mildly against this idea. John will try to get more information. Eventual outcome might lead to the club not being associated with GTOAA.
6. Following are suggested events for 2002. Schedule finalization to start at the December meeting:
Cruise to ocean, Korbel winery and early dinner at GTOs Restaurant in Sebastopol. Meet first at Deidre & Mark Stipanovs house in Sebastopol.
Tour of Jelly Belly Factory. Possibly tour Budwieser Brewery same day. Fairfield.
Mud & Merlot. Overnite stay in wine country.
Polar Bear Express (Evening trip on Niles Canyon Railway) during Christmas season. Club member Ray Halling to get further details.
Tour NUMMI Plant. Club member Bob Doten to get further details.
Capitola Begonia Festival - 1st Sat. after Labor day. Event to replace trips to Pontiac Grill since it has closed. Club member Russ Louthian to get further details.
June picnic @ Oakland Zoo. Club member Pam Harris to get further details.
Wine cruise to Sonoma area with BBQ @ Judy & Leroy Andersonís.
Trip to Behring museum
Wangers II event. Jim Lent to contact Wangers folks
Hiller Aviation museum tour. Club member John Mekisich to get further details.
Golden Gate Park tour. Club member Russ Louthian to get further details.
Day at the Races. Club member Russ Louthian to get further details.
Walnut Festival Parade. Club member Ray Halling to get further details
Early Iron car show - Mid Sept.
Tour of USS Hornet
GOLDEN GATE GOATS UPCOMING EVENTS
Saturday, December 8, 2001
Hereís the kind of holiday event youíve been looking for - a simple, rewarding event that takes little time and even less effort and is guaranteed to make you feel good!
Golden Gate Goats
Second Annual Toys for Tots Drive
FLEX YOUR AMERICAN MUSCLE
And Show Some Heart Too!
Directions to the Meeting. The meeting will be held at the San Jose Double Tree Hotel, located at 2050 Gateway Place in San Jose, very near the San Jose Airport and easily accessible from both Highways 101 and 880 (408-453-4000).
Parking - We are working with the Double Tree Hotel to obtain a designated Club Member parking area near the hotelís main lobby. Even if we are not able to get the designated area, keep in mind the Double Tree is a business hotel so the lots should be almost empty on a Saturday morning and
FREE parking will not pose a problem.
Saturday Morning Agenda
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM (Optional) Enjoy the casual "al fresco" atmosphere of San Jose Double Tree Hotelís Coffee Garden Restaurant. Have a full breakfast or grab a delight from the Expresso Bar
featuring freshly baked pastries, gourmet coffee and fresh fruit juices. Breakfast is an option on the agenda and is not hosted by the Club.
10:30 AM - 12:30 PM - The Golden Gate Goats 2002 Event Calendar Planning Meeting takes place starting at 10:30 AM sharp. Join us at the San Jose Double Tree Hotelís California Sushi & Sake Bar located in the newly renovated lobby and overlooking the pool. Bring your 2002 Calendars so you can mark the dates of next yearís Club Events. Oh, and during the meeting feel free to try some of the Barís California inspired sushi, they tell us it is guaranteed to tempt all palates.
12:30 PM -1:30 PM - Drive from the Double Tree to the ceremony in downtown San Jose, donate toys and checks to Marines at the ceremony stand, and return to the Double Tree parking lot.
Once again we have been invited by Marine 1st Sgt. Joe Vielma, 1st BTO Co, 4th LSB, Director of the Santa Clara County Toys for Tots, to take part in their Super Saturday event. This is a very important kick off event for the Toys for Tots. Sgt. Vielma feels our club will provide the kind of spirit and image they want for this yearís Toys for Tots drive. We are still the ONLY CAR CLUB ever invited to participate, so letís flex some true American muscle and let the kids know we care about them with a big, BIG turn out!
Once we have donated the toys and checks we will be going back to the Double Tree Hotel to adjourn. However, if you wish you can stay in downtown San Jose to enjoy the Christmas in the Park decorations, The Tech Museum or the wonderful chocolate display in the lobby of the Fairmont Hotel. All this and much more is within one block of where we drop off our donations.
What You Need to Do
This event takes place right in the middle of the Holiday Season, so we have done all we can to make it simple, easy and fun.
1. Bring your family and friends in your car along with one new toy to donate per car occupant. If youíre alone, no problem, just bring one new toy and you are in the event. If you have five in the car, each person must have one new toy to donate. Yes, you can bring more that onetoy per person if you wish.
2. Toys must be something a child between the ages of 3 and 12 would want and they must be new (not something you took from your cousin). DO NOT WRAP the toys; just leave them in their box/container.
3. If you hate to shop, you can donate cash in the form of a check made payable to Toys for Tots. By the way the club is going to match the cash donations up to a total of $500 - - thank you Jim (for suggesting the idea), John (for saying "letís do it") and Will (for actually coming up with the check)!
Thatís it. No need to RSVP, you can make up your mind at the last minute to join us. We want as many member cars as possible to take part. But, if your car just canít make it, donít let that stop you. Bring your toy to donate (or your check) and meet us at the San Jose Double Tree. Then hitch a ride with one of the club members to the donation stand and you too can get the great feeling that comes from taking part in a good cause and knowing you did your part to help.
We will depart from the Double Tree in time to reach the ceremony promptly at 1 PM. The trip from the Double Tree to the ceremony stand takes about 20 minutes. It is great fun to make this journey sort of a mini-parade. So feel free to decorate your car in a Holiday and/or Patriotic Spirit!
Directions to the Double Tree
2050 Gateway Place, San Jose, CA 95110 Phone - 408-453-4000
101 Northbound from Gilroy
Take the San Jose1st street exit off of HWY 101. At the light, take a left on Brokaw. Brokaw will take you to the hotel.
101 Southbound from San Francisco
Take the San Jose1st street exit off of HWY 101. Take aright at the bottom of the exit. You will see the hotel.
880 Northbound from Santa Cruz
Take the San Jose1st Street exit. Turn left and go 3/4 of a mile up 1st street. See the Hyatt hotel on the right and Howard Johnson on the left. There is a signal (Old Bayshore Road) Turn left at the signal. This will take you to the hotel.
880 Southbound from Oakland
Take the San Jose 1st Street exit. Turn right and go 3/4 of a mile up 1st Street. You will see the Hyatt Hotel on the right and Howard Johnson on the left. There is a signal (Old Bayshore Road). Turn left at the signal. This will take you to the hotel.
Directions to Ceremony
* Turn left out of the Double Tree parking lot on to Gateway Place
* Go to the end of the block and turn right on to Airport Parkway
* Turn left at the light on to Guadalupe Parkway and drive to the Park Avenue exit
* Turn left at the bottom of the exit ramp on Park Avenue to Almaden
* Turn left on Almaden, go one block and turn right to Market
* Turn right on Market and follow it as it curves completely around the park to the right to the ceremony stand located in the park across the street from the Fairmont Hotel
* Hand donations to Marines, wave to camera, and continue on back up Market to the first light, turn right to 1st Street
* Turn left on 1st Street and follow it all the way back to the Double Tree
NOTE: Remember that after you have made your donation, you can elect to stay in downtown San Jose to enjoy the Christmas in the Park decorations, or The Tech Museum, or the decorations at the Fairmont.
OMIGODITSGOOD! Recipe Corner
Happy Holidays. That busy fun time of year again. Here is a delicious scone recipe from Jeannie Lent. For us Weight Watcher folks...this one is only 2 points per serving! Thanks Jeannie. Also I have added an easy low fat cookie recipe. Hope you enjoy both. Hope you all have a safe and wonderful holiday season with your friends and families.
Thanks for this one Jeannie. It looks terrific!
Orange Ginger Scones with Currants
2 cups reduced calorie buttermilk baking mix
1/4 cup currants
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup fat free milk
1 tsp. orange zest
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tbsp fat free milk
1 tbsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. In a large bowl combine all dough ingredients; stir until doughforms.
3. Turn onto a floured surface and knead several times until smooth ball forms. Place onto a cookie sheet; flatten into 8 inch circle. Brush with milk; sprinkle with granulated sugar.
4. Bake until golden, 12 to 14 minutes. cut into 8 wedges, serve warm,.
2 points per serving.
Forgotten Cookies (makes 3 dozen)
2 egg whites
pinch of salt
2/3 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, or chopped regular size
1. Pre-heat oven 350 degrees.
2. Line cookie sheet with aluminum foil
3. Place egg whites in large bowl with pinch of salt. Beat until stiff.Add sugar gradually, then add vanilla. Beat well to mix. Egg whites should be very creamy now and hold a peak.
4. Fold in pecans and chocolate chips
5. Drop by teaspoon onto foil covered cookie sheet.
6. Place cookie sheet in oven, and turn the oven OFF.
7. Leave the cookies in the oven for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
DO NOT open oven door until after the 2 hours have passed. It really works. These are yummy. If you think you can't leave them in there without peaking, take this opportunity to spend some time cruising in your GTO!
Welcome to these new members who have joined the
Golden Gate Goats in
|Jim & Rachelle Clapp||Sparks, NV||1964 H.T.|
|Phil & Sheila Thompson||Kings Beach||1969 Convertible|